Monday, April 4, 2011

And in that moment I swear we were infinite...

Do you ever have those moments that feel infinite? Not in the sense that time drags on, but that the moment will always be alive in your mind.The colors will never fade, the smells will always be strong, the scenery will always be vivid, but most of all, the feelings will never diminish. These moments become a part of you and shape you through experience.

That is what study abroad has been like.

To commemorate this incredible experience, I got a tattoo with two friends I met in Rome.

We didn't know what we would get to remind ourselves of this experience, but my friend wisely said "We'll know when we see it."

Near the end of spring break, these two friends and I were in Prague where we soon found our way to the John Lennon wall. It was a psychedelic mass of paintings, bright with color, quotes, names of fans scrawled in reverence to the great John Lennon. Among this mass, something jumped out at us, a quote: And in that moment I swear we were infinite...

It was perfect. It encapsulated everything we felt about the study abroad experience. In only nine words I saw myself singing in the streets of Dublin, sneaking into a hostel bathroom in Venice, getting ready on a bus and singing karaoke in Berlin, drinking beer in a piazza in Rome and so many more moments that are pieces of perfection and adventure in my life.

We immediately found a tattoo parlor and had it etched into us permanently. I could not think of a better way to remember this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment